Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Courage...



Mondays are interesting for me. All day long, I begin to sink into a nervous and jumbly mess. At 6:20pm, I start the half hour drive to Rosarito, where football practice takes place. I don't know why I get nervous. I know that it has something to do with the unknown. I never know when the other coach is going to show up or if it will be just me. I also know that I don't know the tone of how the guys are going to be. Sometimes they are slow-moving, sometimes they are motivated.


Even though it has been getting easier to go each time, I still find myself consumed in a way that I can't explain.


The last couple of days have been tough. Erin and I have been feeling discouraged and trying to figure out what we are doing and if we are doing what God wants us to or we are just working on our own. And this came after feeling very encouraged just a few days before.


As I started my drive, I decided to play a sermon on my Ipod. I chose one from a guy named Francis Chan. He is one of my favorite speakers. The sermon happened to be about courage. He talked about how important it is to resemble God since we are His children, and how often we fail to live with courage because we get old, and we lose the ability to do things that people think are unsafe, or unwise.


He went on to talk about why he speaks to high school kids so much. He said that it is because they still believe that they can do amazing things with God and they are looking for someone who is 40 with kids who is still living the life that the world says is weird.


And as I drove to a dirt field in the schoolyard of a Mexican high school, I decided that it was time for me to live with the courage of a child of God. I realized that God was with me and that these kids are put in my life for a reason. Not only that, but the coach Tony was as well.


As we were leaving the practice, Coach Tony told me that His car was stolen, his other car's battery was stolen and his mother was sick. He alluded to the fact that God had his attention and that he was wondering what God was trying to say.


Courage.


Not only do I want to have that courage that infuses life into everything I do, but I want to give courage to everyone who wants it. That is now what I am about.

1 comment:

  1. I am also a big fan of Francis Chan and just finished his book Crazy Love. In fact, I am interning at LifeChurch.tv and Francis just "spoke" last weekend via our satellite experience for One Prayer. I was interested in your blog because I visited La Mision over Spring break to help with DOFO. It was an incredible experience. God bless with everything that you are doing to reach the world around you!
    Phil. 4:13

    ReplyDelete