Friday, July 23, 2010

Baseball

View of the baseball field during the winter

Every so often, a group of kids, and a group of adults come out to play some baseball out in the field next to the church(the one that is a lake during the rainy season). I have often wanted to go out and play, but just didn't have the courage. Tuesday, in the late afternoon, I decided to check it out. I brought my glove and a foul ball from a Twins game I once caught.

A guy I know, Sergio, was there, and we started warming up. It had been a while since I had thrown a baseball. A long, long, long while...luckily I throw a lot of footballs, otherwise I might not be able to type.

It was so fun. Just me and a bunch of guys from the neighborhood, playing baseball on a dirt field. Horses were running by, and dogs passing through the infield. We took turns being up to bat. I would hit and run the bases (and by hit, I mean pop out to somewhere around the 2nd base. When I was in the field, I didn't impress, but I didn't embarrass myself either.

As I walked home, I passed a guy from the church who saw that I was playing baseball. He asked, "So you were playing with them?" I assumed he was referring to the type of people I was playing ball with.

He didn't say much else, but he didn't have to. I just had to think that I was being judged for fraternizing with the "bad" people of town. I love that. I wish that I was better at interacting with the "bad" people. Maybe this is my chance. I just hope that my body can hold up until the rains come again...

No comments:

Post a Comment