Sunday, May 31, 2009

La Boda de Joanna y Jorge


Saturday May 30, Chad and I attended Joanna and Jorge's wedding. Both the bride and groom were 18 years old. Joanna had just given birth to a baby girl in early April. Joanna grew up in Door of Faith Orphanage but decided to move out once she was old enough so she could date (as there is a no dating rule at the orphanage). I can’t begin to imagine the emotions she was feeling walking down the aisle. But nonetheless, the couple while appearing nervous seemed to enjoy the ceremony and we in the audience even laughed and applauded when they kissed, because they were so shy. Pictured, walking her down the aisle is DJ, an administrator of the orphanage.

A tradition that I discovered is unique to Latin American weddings, is the lasso. The bride and groom kneel down and a special couple presents the Lasso to them, draping it over their heads, binding them together. I think this is a unique symbol to demonstrate that they are united as one. Other things that are given are pillows by other special members of the community, so they can kneel to say their vows under the matrimonial arch.

After the wedding all the guests went up to DJ and Lynette's house to celebrate and have a traditional Mexican dish of Birria which was made of beef (originally is it goat I think) served with beans, corn tortillas, cilantro, chopped onion, and key limes.

The best thing about attending this wedding, like other special events in the community, is that Chad and I are invited because we are a part of the community, not because we knew the bride and groom especially well. I am thankful I was able to celebrate with Jorge and Joanna, and I pray God will continue to walk in their lives.