Wednesday, July 29, 2009

This week...

Sunday:
Church was nice. A pastor from Canada gave the sermon.
After church, Erin and I joined the Pachecos and many others to watch the US play Mexico in soccer. Elizabeth bet me dinner that Mexico would win. I took her bet. I wanted her to win so we could make her and Gustavo dinner, but I honestly thought she had no chance.
Our whole starting team didn't make the trip. I still thought we would win. But they beat us. They beat us good. 5-0. In football, that is like losing 92-0. There was joy in Mexico. We didn't share that joy. It was fun to be a part of that. They really do like that Erin and I like to watch and play soccer. They like that we root for our team. They REALLY like it when we root for our team and when their team beats our team. Elizabeth said that we can make anything for her, except spaghetti.
Monday:
I was coerced (Erin wants me to say joyfully offered my services to other children of the Lord) into helping to go to the US to pick up some medical equipment for the clinic. On our way up to California, we went through the border. Brendan has something called a Sentri Pass. It is awesome. Instead of an hour at the border, it only took him 8 minutes. You can buy this pass and it saves you time as long as you don't even dare to bring anyone or anything across the border. (one person lost the pass because they brought one avocado) As a result, I jumped out of the van and walked through the pedestrian line. They randomly stopped me and searched my person. I was thoroughly searched. No cavity checks, but let's just say that guy owes me dinner.
We proceeded to Oceanside and back twice, collecting beds and counters and bookshelves. I missed football practice, so I decided to go on Tuesday.
Tuesday:
Erin had clinic in the morning. 9am-1pm. After that, she made a house call with Sarah and her friend Allan to help a guy with an infection. And went out to lunch.
I went to football practice. When I got there, the coach, Tony, suggested we head to Tijuana to play football with his flag football team. I agreed.
Since there was only seven players there that night, we loaded Tony's car and mine, and headed to Tijuana. We stuffed Julio (the gentle giant) into my front seat.
We practiced football under the semi-lit field and did some drills. The guys on Tony's team helped out lineman and our quarterback and then we played some flag football. Our quarterback, Oliver, is starting to get better. It will be exciting to see him develop.
We played until 10pm and then headed back to Rosarito. I asked the guys if they wanted some tacos and they showed me a great place. It was fun to buy them all some food and a bottle of coke or sprite. They seemed grateful. I know I was.
I didn't get home until 11:15pm. Erin was a little worried, but not too much. I was praying that she wouldn't be, since I had no way to communicate to her.
Wednesday:
Today, I got a haircut. Gabriel and I went to get our hairs cut. Since Gabriel bought mine last time, I decided to repay the favor. 90 pesos bought us both a nice new dew. (about 7 bucks)
Then Erin and I went to the daycare center for children's church. Since many of their kids were at a camp in Rosarito, there were only 7 kids. There was also a group there that was going to run the service. So we decided to head back home.
At about 3:15pm, Erin and I had our first Spanish lesson. We asked Sofy if she would spend some time each day speaking Spanish with us. So she joined us for 45 minutes and we conversed about stuff, as she corrected our Spanish. We are excited to be able to expedite our learning process.
Thursday:
Tomorrow we are going to the US for a wedding. My friend, Nick Shupper, is getting married in Malibu. His family allowed me to live in their backhouse during seminary for $100 a month. I am looking forward to catching up with them during this exciting time for them.
Suggested reading:
By the way, I am reading Irresistible Revolution. It is very inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment