Friday, September 11, 2009

First game tomorrow

This is me with head coach, Tony, and Helio
Erin and I haven't blogged in a while. We just got back from seeing our friend Sean Whiting get married in California. It was a great wedding, but we were glad to get back home.

It feels more and more like home down here.

It's Friday night. I just got home from practice. I just found out that the head coach, Tony, is not going to be there tomorrow because he couldn't get away from work.

Helio (pronounce el-lee-oh) is a friend of mine. He lives here at the church. I have known since my first trip down here. He asked if he could come with me to practice a month ago and won over coach Tony with his knowledge of the game. Now, he is coming to every practice.

As a result, we are the only two coaches that will be there tomorrrow and I am very grateful that Helio will be there!

Football is not the most important thing that I am doing down here in Mexico. But tonight, I really had a sense of peace about how right it is that I am in the place that I am.

Not long ago, I came to practice and just spent some time playing in the dirt. Now I am a coach. I have earned the respect of all but 3, maybe 4, players. Tomorrow we get to see what we have, and what we don't.

I will write more about our first game, but I just wanted to capture the feeling of peace and courage that I have about coaching football in Mexico...

No comments:

Post a Comment