Thursday, September 17, 2009

Thursday Night Church

Pastor Gustavo, his wife Elizabeth, Erin and Chad
Tonight, the band consisted of Ernesto on bass, Pastor Gustavo on electric guitar, Lynette on the keys, Luis on drums. Elvira, Pastora Elizabeth and Benito sing, and I play acoustic guitar.

Every Thursday, our church gets together for worship and message from either Pastor Gustavo or a guest speaker. Worship was a little rough tonight. We tried a new song tonight and we had a difficult time getting the rhythm. The bass, played by Ernesto, was extra loud. I just learned that he has two extra woofers under the stage besides the one on the stage. It has a tendency to shake my feet while I play the guitar.
After the service, I spoke with Gonzalo and his family about his work and how he has a job for the next couple of weeks. I was glad to hear that. He has been unable to pay for his water bill and trying to find work to feed his wife and three kids. Just after this, I spoke with Elizabeth, or as she is called, the Pastora. She was telling me how worried she is about money and that she wanted us to pray for her. The church is currently housing 13 people. She feeds them everyday and it is getting to be quite a burden.
There is so much unemployment here. I get the sense that our town needs hope. A hope that is bigger than financial stability. I think of the early church in Acts that sold all of their land and lived together as a community. The hope that spills into all parts of our lives.
The question is, where is this going to come from? I believe that we (La Mision Ministries) are in the midst of working toward that goal of empowering someone in this community to be the voice of hope in this hard economic time.


No comments:

Post a Comment