Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Getting settled

Here is a picture of my first band practice. This occurred on Monday night. Of course, I had already played in the band the day before...without much practice at all. It was a little tough to follow. Being a part of the band is so great. I get to know some people better, like Elvira who sings, and her 19 year-old daughter Angelica. The bass player is an older man who really knows his stuff. It is difficult to be a part of since they speak and sing in Spanish so I am trying to learn as fast as I can and it is a big challenge. I look forward to the day when I can just sing in Spanish and they are my words...rather than just mouthing the words and trying to pronounce them correctly.

Times are very good here. We went into Ensenada yesterday with the Pachecos. Pastor Gustavo drove and took us to the right spots. Erin and I bought a fridge and were able to have them deliver it for 10 bucks. (30 miles away!) We thought that was a pretty good deal! They also took us to the best fish tacos I have ever had. Apparently that was a special occasion since we were along for the ride.
We are happy to be here. Erin is going to be helping out at the clinic tomorrow which is here at the church. The clinic is run by an amazing woman who has one child and another on the way. She is a Physicians Assistant and her and her husband will be fun to get to know. I met the man who runs the rehab center for men who are dealing with drug and alcohol. He asked me to preach to them. Elisabeth said that I have to hit them hard with the Gospel since they are so tough! But that I should then bring the love after that. I am excited about that challenge.
We are continually grateful for all that God is doing in our lives and the wonderful challenge it is to live in Mexico. We are learning so much and really having to change some of the habits that we have gotten into in the states. For example, they have a big meal for lunch and then just whatever is leftover for dinner. We like that but it is very different from eating whatever at lunch and then looking forward to a big dinner. Maybe that will change when we get a refridgerator!

1 comment:

  1. I love to hear the story! God be with you!!!!
    Love, LULU

    ReplyDelete