Monday, March 23, 2009

Busy Friday Night...

What a busy Friday night. We had planned to have a couple of meetings. Unfortunately, I did not remember both of them happening at the same time. I double-booked. And because of their importance, there was no way to postpone either one of them. The first meeting was a video conference with our board members. Erin and I sat here at our kitchen table in Mexico, and Nancy and Vance Ekrem, Ben and Alison Potter, and Daniel and Shena Hinds all gathered at the Ekrems and we had a great meeting with them via the internet.
Erin and I were able to share with them all of the things we were working on down here in La Mision. They asked us questions and tried to understand what it was that we were doing. This was such a great exercise for us because living down here, you don’t thoroughly understand what is going on until you are able to take a step back and compare it to another situation.
I was able to see some things in a different way and able to put words to feelings that we were having as we were seeing the needs in the community. As a result, Erin and I walked away from the call with such a renewed sense of our mission and we felt encouraged and loved and called to continue to do the things that we are doing. What a blessing! We both wanted to keep talking with them about it! (that is a great sign of our first board meeting)
But we could not continue.
Our other meeting had arrived during the first.
Erin was busy making dinner for our next crew. We asked Edgar, Sofy, Angelica, and Laura to come to dinner at our house. Sofy, who acts as our interpreter, did not get home from school until 8pm, so we were forced to speak in Spanish until then. These people are going to be the youth leaders of the church. We talked about what it means to be a leader and I tried to begin the discussion of how to do good ministry here in La Mision.
Please pray for us as we try to discern what it means to do youth ministry. I don’t want to just do the youth ministry model that I have done before in other situations. I believe that God calls us to follow His lead….and His lead is always new. I think of the ways that Christians in the past have thrown their culture on others and how that seems to rip the dignity from them. I want us all to follow God into a new realm which brings out the greatness of both our cultures, and gives us both, a new culture to strive for.
As I tried to communicate this, it was hard for us to hear. I think this will take some work. I feel like the prophets of the Old Testament when I talk like this. I am reading through Ezekial right now and no one wants to listen. Jeremiah faced the same thing. But when we don’t listen, and we don’t obey, God gets pretty mad.
I have football practice tonight and the principal is going to be there. Pray for me on that too!

No comments:

Post a Comment