Monday, March 2, 2009

Focus, Hone, and Seek


Every day is different in La Mision. We meet new people, learn new things, and now are staring to see where God is using our skills to help. Chad and I are starting to focus our time and attention at more specific projects.


I am starting a grocery/food donation program where I put together basic food staples for 5 families and then the church decides who they will go to. Today I bought some groceries at the local Monday market to go with Elizabeth tomorrow, to visit and pray for a family whose father was killed in an accident while working construction on the highway.


Today Chad will go to his second Football (American) practice, yet I am still undecided on whether I will take up the task of coaching the women’s soccer team. I keep going back and forth. On one side, it would take away from my time/opportunities to help in La Mision. Also, the schedule varies throughout the week, so I would have to be in Rosarito maybe 3 times a week (a drive of about 30 min.) for multiple practices and games. However, the team really needs more equipment ie. Soccer balls, cones… and I believe I could help try to get donations in that area. Also there is the chance to develop new relationships and be a leader to these young women. I am praying about it and have been to one practice so far. Even though I am unsure of where God is leading me in this area, I am patient and listening.

Every Wednesday, I have also been assisting at the medical clinic that opens at the church, run by a missionary from the orphanage, Door of Faith. I foresee myself trying to recruit dentist/medical groups for short term trips, and get more medicine donated.


Chad and I also are working on a sustainable business ministry for the youth of the town. Part of our non-profit mission statement states we want to raise leaders to serve and follow Christ. We hope that by getting the youth involved in something that is run by them, as well as ministering through this form of a ‘youth group’, we would be achieving this mission. We are still in the brainstorming phase (and Chad has blogged about it before), but we hope to develop a business that teaches a skill , is run by the youth, and can continue even when we have left this area. We are really excited about the idea of roasting coffee and then selling it to raise money for the youth (to provide support for school, families, health etc.) We think we could get green coffee from South Mexico and then we would sell it to the US, Churches-as a missions support, and/or to groups who come down for short-term projects. Let us know if you have any ideas or comments on this business idea, or just pray for this to come to culmination in the way God desires it.

No comments:

Post a Comment