Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Football Practice



I drive into the school yard through the security post, and park in a nice place in the dirt. I walk over to the bench and set down my football. The lights slowly come on. It's seven o'clock. The guys slowly trickle over to the field. The field is dirt. No lines, no grass. Just dirt.
The begin to warm up by doing some stretches and running. I take over. I prepared some drills that I had done back at Eden Prairie High School. Of course, we had pads on and practice jerseys. They did not.
Its the second year of the football team here at Cobach High School. Last year they sold burritos at the local gas station to raise money to buy some pads. They took third place against the teams in the area. I don't know how many teams there were. They apparently had a running back who would run over guys. But he wasn't too smart so he got expelled. Bummer.
I woke up yesterday morning so excited about getting to coach. I love the fact that they are there and that they really want to learn how to play football. I didn't know how much I could offer, but at practice, they asked me questions and really listened to my response.
I will learn Spanish better because of this, but it is nice, because three of the guys do speak some English. Of course, football talk is another language altogether. Many times I say, "what's the word for holding?" And they say, "Holding."
Our season begins in August. We will increase our practices from once a week to more in April or May.

1 comment: