Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Football



Last night, I went to football practice and things were different. The coach showed up. He was the head coach and decided that it was time to show up and get things started. I don't exactly know why, but I was glad.


Antonio speaks good English. He took control right from the start and made the guys run until they puked. (actually, at least two of them actually threw up) They ran and did drills for two hours. After some catching up with the coach, I learned that he had some US people helping the team in the past and they weren't that great and showed up drunk. So they got rid of them. Some footballs were donated from a supporter of La Mision Ministries and we had them there (however, they didn't really get to use them). The coach decided that it would be best if I was in charge of the quarterback and wide receivers which is exactly what I wanted to do. He said there was another coach who is the offensive coordinator and he, the head coach, was in charge of the defense. So I worked with the QB, Allan, the center, Memo, and three wide receivers.


There were about 28 guys there last night. They only have 25 helmets and sets of pads...so we will see what happens when we distribute them. Coach Tony didn't want them to get their equipment without earning it, which is cool. They don't have uniforms and about half of them have cleats.


All in all, I am more excited about this than I was before. We will keep you posted about the Cuervos of Cobach.... (Cobach is the name of the High School in Rosarito, and Cuervos means Ravens.)